This meatball recipe evolved from the Insanely Awesome Meatloaf found in Paleo Parents' Beyond Bacon cookbook. (If you don't own this book, you should. Go buy it. Right now. Seriously. I'll wait... Got it? Great. We can move on...)
These little dudes are nutrition powerhouses, packed with veggies and surprise-- LIVER!
Not a liver lover? It's cool... The ground meat and veg mask the earthy taste of liver, so even the pickiest of eaters will love it! Hungry yet?
Slightly More Insane and Equally Amazing Meatballs
- 3 tbls butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 5 large white button mushrooms, diced
- 2 pounds ground grassfed beef
- 1 pound ground pastured pork
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 2 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Saute the diced onions, carrots, mushrooms and celery until the onions are translucent and the other veggies begin to soften. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt over the veggies to help them release moisture.
- Remove skillet from heat when cooked through.
- While the veggies are sautéing, puree the chicken livers in a high speed blender.
- In a large bowl, combine pork, beef, liver and eggs. Add salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, parsley, and almond flour. Use your hands to mix well!
- Gently fold the cooked veggies into the meat mixture, again using your hands. Wear gloves if you don't like getting all up in your food.
- Form golf ball size meatballs and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.*
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
*You could also bake these in a muffin tin. You may need to adjust the cooking time based on the size!