My Imperfect Produce delivery has been FULL of carrots lately, so I whipped up another of my favorite ferments: Ginger Orange Carrots!
Fermented carrots are super tasty, packing a nice salty crunch. (Totally toddler approved too) This a quick and pretty forgiving ferment, so if you're new to home fermenting-- start here!
Also! If you haven't you tried Imperfect Produce and want $10 off your first delivery-- go check them out here!
Fermented Orange Ginger Carrots
The perfect salty, crunchy condiment! Add to salads, sandwhiches or serve on its own.
Makes: 1 pint
- 2lbs carrots, grated
- Zest + Juice from one small orange
- 2 inch chunk ginger, grated
- 1 tbls coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup whey or brine from previous ferment
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients.
- Using your hands, massage the ingredients together for 5-10 minutes. The brine (liquid) should double.
- Add carrots and liquid to wide-mouth, glass quart jar, packing carrots down tightly.
- Pack carrots down so there are no air bubbles in the jar and the liquid covers the carrots. You may need to weigh the carrots down with a small shot glass or whiskey rocks (that's what we use in our house...)
- Cover jar loosely with cheese cloth or thin dish towel and secure with rubberband. Ferment at room temperature for 3-5days, checking occasionally to make sure the veggies are staying below the brine.
- After it's fermented, check for mold and scoop any off the top. (If you packed it down and there's liquid on top, you won't have to worry about mold hiding the jar . Mold need oxygen to do it's thing.)
- Secure with lid and store in fridge for up to 2 months.