Another perfect weeknight meal brought to you by the instant pot. Beef shanks, root veggies and broccoli are cooked in a rich red curry. Eat it as is or on top of a bowl of rice or cauli-rice.
Instant Pot Beef Curry
Thai red curry with carrots, parsnips, broccoli and beef shanks. If you can't find beef shanks, substitute in beef stew meat.
Makes: 6 Servings
- 3lbs Beef Shanks or Beef Stew Meat
- 1 tbls coarse sea salt
- 1 tbls cooking fat of choice
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into half moons
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumbsize piece ginger, minced
- 4oz Red Curry Paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbls fish sauce
- 3 tbls coconut aminos
- 3 large carrots, cut into 2" chunks
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 10oz broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1 13.5oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 lime
- Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE function. Add cooking fat to pot.
- While pot is heating, rub all sides of beef shank with coarse sea salt.
- Add beef shank to hot pot and brown on all sides. You may need to work in batches.
- Once beef is browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add sliced onions, ginger, and garlic to hot pot. Saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring often, until fragrant.
- Stir in curry paste and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Deglaze pan with 1/2 cup water, stirring to get the browned bits off the bottom. Stir in fish sauce and coconut aminos
- Add carrots and parsnips to the pot. Then lay the beef shanks on top.
- Pressure cook for 25 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Pull meat out of pot and remove bone. Gently shred with two forks and return to pot.
- Stir in coconut milk and turn to Instant Pot to SAUTE function.
- Add broccoli florets and bring to a boil. Boil for 5-7 mintues, until broccoli is bright green. It should still have a little bite to it. No one has time for mushy broccoli!
- Taste for salt. Serve with a squeeze of lime over a bed of rice or cauli-rice.