Can you tell Edith helped name this one? Really she called them meat muffins, but I feeeeeeel like that didn’t have the best ring to it.
These mini meatloaf muffins are perfectly packable for workday lunches and reheat beautifully. Pair them with a fresh green salad or some roasted green beans and you’ll be a happy camper.
Meatloaf also serves as a great vehicle for organ meats (without being in your face). I prefer mild tasting liver from rabbit or chicken, but if you’re a liver lover, beef would work just fine here.
These meatloaf muffins make use of my recipe for parmesan whipped sweet potatoes. You could also use just mashed, cooked sweet potatoes if you’re in a pinch.
Mini Meatloaf Muffins
Perfectly packable mini meatloaf bites for lunch or dinner topped with parmesan whipped sweet potatoes.
Makes: 18 mini meatloafs
- 2lbs lean ground beef
- 4-6oz chicken liver
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 15oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbls coconut aminos
- 1 tbls worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbls worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 1 batch Parmesan Whipped Sweet Potatoes or 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Add olive oil to a large cast iron skillet and heat over medium.
- Saute onions, carrots, celery and garlic to hot cast iron skillet. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occassionally, until onions are translucent.
- While veggies are cooking, prepare the liver. Drain any excess liquid and chop into one inch pieces. Add liver pieces to blender and pulse until ground meat consistency is reached.
- Remove veggies from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine the ground liver, ground beef, almond flour, tomato sauce, aminos, worcestershire, spices and salt. Use your hands to make sure its just combined, but don't overwork the meat.
- Fold the cooled veggies into the meat.
- Line a muffin tin and scoop a heaping 1/4 cup of meat into each space.
- Bake in center of oven for 30 minutes or until meat reaches an internal temperature of 160F. Sometimes there can be excess liquid that will bubble up and over. Save your oven and place a rimmed baking sheet with 1/2 cup of water on the rack below your muffin tins to catch any drips
- While meatloaf is cooking, prepare the parmesan whipped sweet potatoes.
- When meatloaf is cooked, remove from oven. Turn oven to broil. Top each muffin with 2-3 tablespoons of sweet potatoes.
- Return potato topped muffins to oven and broil for 3-5 minutes.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes in tin before serving.
- Store leftovers in fridge for up to 4 days or in freezer for up to 4 months. Reheat at 300F for 20 minutes or in microwave for 2-3minutes.
Parmesan Whipped Sweet Potatoes
Makes: 6 servings
- 1.5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 tbls salted butter
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Steam for approximately 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Add steamed potatoes to bowl of stand mixer.
- Using whisk attachment, beat on high for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Add parmesan, butter and salt to potatoes and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Serve warm!