Savory Stuffed Pumpkins
Did you know that some of those tiny pumpkins you see at the market are not just for decoration? Me either until very recently! We found some tiny pumpkins, similar looking to sugar pumpkins, but smaller, at the farm market and were delighted to see them marked as edible (and tasty!).
The wheels started spinning— I knew I wanted to roast these and keep them whole, but with what flavors? Savory? Sweet?
Well with so much pumpkin spice sweetness in the universe these days, I thought it’d be nice to showcase another side of pumpkin.
Inspired by stuffed peppers of summer, these Savory Stuffed Pumpkins are infused with garlic during roasting and then filled with a sausage, fennel and parmesan stuffing.
My brilliant husband really come up with the concept behind this recipe, so props to him.
These are the perfect main course for your next dinner party or for a simple family meal at home. Pair them with sautéed green beans and some fermented veggies!
Savory Stuffed Pumpkins
Need inspiration for your next dinner party? Try these roasted mini pumpkins infused with garlic and filled with sausage, fennel and parmesan stuffing!
Makes: 6 servings
- 6 mini pumpkins
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small bulb fennel, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1.5 pounds mild italian sausage
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 oz crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Using a sharp, serated knife, remove the top of pumpkin just like you would when carving a jack-o-lantern! Save the lid.
- Scoop out and discard the stringy guts and seeds.
- Place pumpkins on rimmed baking sheeet and drizzle 1/2 tsp olive oil and 1 clove of garlic, smashed, inside each pumpkin.
- Return lids to each pumpkin and roast for 20 minutes
- While the pumpkins are roasting, prepare the stuffing.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium and add 1 tsp olive oil.
- When pan is hot, add diced onion, fennel, carrot and celery. Saute until just softened.
- Add sausage to pan with veggies and brown, crumbling the sausage as it cooks.
- When sausage is cooked, add diced mushrooms, paprika, and sage and saute until mushrooms cook down and release moisture.
- When cooked, remove sausage stuffing from heat.
- Instruction 1
- When pumpkins finish roasting, remove from oven, take off lids and set the lids aside.
- Fill each pumpkin halfway with sausage stuffing, add 1 tbls of grated parmesan. Add another scoop of sausage stuffing and tbls of parmesan. Overfill each pumpkin with stuffing (it will cook down!) and top with a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Return stuffed pumpkins to oven and roast for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully remove each pumpkin from baking sheet with sturdy spatula.
- Garnish with fennel fronds (optional)