Friends, my body and belly are SO ACHY from all the delicious fudge and Christmas cookies I’ve been enjoying.
My body and soul have been BEGGING for a really hearty salad and luckily my imperfect produce box delivered the perfect imperfect ingredients. There’s no exact science to this salad (really to any salad), so mix it up to your heart’s desire. It’s really important to give chop the greens small and really massage in the vinaigrette. This breaks down the tough nature of the greens making them tasty and easy to digest. This recipe also calls for fuyu persimmons, which are the short squat persimmons. They are supposed to be crunchy. No persimmons? Use green apple instead!
Brussel sprouts, kale, carrots marinated in an orange thyme vinaigrette, studded with persimmons, pomegranates and pumpkin seeds
Shaved Brussel Sprout Winter Slaw
Brussel sprouts, kale, and carrots marinated in an orange-thyme vinaigrette toped with pomegrantes, persimmons and pumpkin seeds.
Makes: 6-8 servings
- 1 batch Orange Thyme Vinaigrette
- 1.5lbs brussel sprouts, stems removed, sliced into very thin ribbons
- 1 bunch lacinto kale, thick stems removed, sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 fuyu persimmons, diced
- Arils from 1 pomegranate
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- Combine carrot, brussel sprouts, and kale in a large bowl with the vinaigrette. Massage vinaigrette into the veggies. Allow to marinate in fridge for at least one hour.
- Add pomegranates, persimmons and pumpkins seeds. Toss to combine.
- Taste for salt. Serve cold.
Orange Thyme Vinaigrette
Simple and delicious dressing!
Makes: 1 cup
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbls honey
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar.
- Secure lid tightly. Shake vigourously until dressing is emulsified.
- Store in fridge for up to 1 week.